DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 21 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Trump’s statements no reason to cancel royal visit, Jetten says

April 8, 2026
Defence minister Dilan Yesilgoz-Zegerius, and Rob Jetten in the senate. Photo: Jeroen Jumelet ANP

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favorite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favorite source on Google

Dutch prime minister Rob Jetten has described US president Donald Trump’s social media post about destroying Iranian civilisation as “worrying” but said it is no reason to cancel next week’s visit to the White House by king Willem-Alexander and queen Máxima.

Jetten made the comment during a debate with the senate on the government’s plans for the next four years, before the announcement of a two-week ceasefire brokered by Pakistan.

However, Trump’s comments, Jetten told senators, “does absolutely nothing to help find a solution” to the conflict, the Volkskrant reported.

Socialist senator Rik Janssen asked the prime minister during the debate if it was still sensible to send the royal couple to Washington, where they are due to spend the night in the White House itself. Trump’s threat, he said, contravenes the Geneva Convention.

Jetten, however, declined to speculate on the consequences, prompting Niko Koffeman from the pro-animal PvdD to ask, “What level of war crime would you attach consequences to?”

Jetten also declined to answer, saying it was a “what-if question”. However, he went on to describe Trump’s recent posts as “unacceptable”.

He also said that both Israel and the US are attacking civilian infrastructure, “which does not fit within the boundaries of international law”.

“Next week we will have the opportunity to say what we think about the escalation [of the conflict],” the prime minister said. He is due to join the king and queen for a banquet at the White House hosted by Trump.

Royal visit

The couple will travel to the US from April 13 to April 15 for a working visit to Philadelphia, Miami and Washington DC.

The invitation to the White House follows Trump’s visit to the Netherlands during the Nato summit last year, when he stayed at Huis ten Bosch palace.

Foreign minister Tom Berendsen will accompany the royals during their visit to Pennsylvania, while foreign trade minister Sjoerd Sjoerdsma will join the programme in Florida.

The aim of the visit is to strengthen the economic ties between the Netherlands and Pennsylvania and Florida, the RVD said.

Britain’s king Charles is also due to visit the US at the end of April for the independence commemorations but there have been mounting calls for the trip to be cancelled because of Trump’s outspoken comments about Britain and the war in Iran.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Foreign affairs Royals US
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch leaders join outrage over Israeli treatment of activists
Early morning public transport strike planned for June 24
Asylum riot arrests reveal scale of outside involvement
A hot, sunny weekend ahead and there is more to come
Close-up of the front of a Dutch fire engine
Industrial site zoned off after asbestos released in fire
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now