DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 22 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

140,000 people fined for breaking curfew or social distancing rules

February 3, 2022
Photo: DutchNews.nl

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Photo: DutchNews.nl

In the two years since coronavirus reached the Netherlands, the Dutch public prosecution department says it has dealt with 1,475 criminal investigations relating to the pandemic.

In 2020, most cases related to people spitting or coughing at the police and public sector workers in an effort to infect them, the department said on Thursday. In 2021, most prosecutions involved people who had been taking part in demonstrations against government coronavirus policy.

Most of those cases – 404 – stemmed from the riots which took place at the end of January 2021, when the curfew was brought in. In total, 91 of those cases involved teenagers under the age of 18.

In addition, nearly 146,000 people faced fines for breaking the curfew, not wearing a mask, or failing to social distance since the restrictions were introduced. However, nearly 4,000 cases were eventually dropped after protests.

In addition, 913 people opted to go to court and fight the fine. Of the cases heard so far, 143 people have been found not guilty or the charges against them were dismissed.

The fine is currently €95 for an adult but was €390 up to October 2020. However, the amount was lowered after MPs said a Covid related fine should not mean people had a criminal record.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
Ajax and Utrecht win, and now play for last European ticket
Dutch royals pose for summer portraits in The Hague
A hot, sunny weekend ahead and there is more to come
Home truths – getting the right Dutch housing market advice
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now