DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 18 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Teacher goes on trial accused of sexually abusing six children

April 16, 2018
Photo: Google Streetview
Photo: Google Streetview

A teacher at an orthodox Jewish school in Amsterdam has gone on trial accused of sexually abusing six pupils.

Ephraim S., 30, is said to have carried out the assaults between 2011 and 2012 at the Cheider school in Buitenveldert on children aged between 12 and 16.

The school authorities initially declined to press charges after holding an internal investigation and only reported the matter to police several months later after the then education minister Marja van Bijsterveldt intervened.

S. fled to Israel when the allegations first came to light, but was extradited to the Netherlands in 2016. He has since been held in custody.

The court heard that his behaviour first attracted attention early in 2012 when he was suspended by the school for giving inappropriate massages to children. S. claimed he had ‘only touched them on the shoulders,’ but the alleged victims claimed that the contact extended to other body parts, including sexual organs.

S. left for Israel in September of that year, by which time a second child had come forward with similar allegations. He denied that he had fled the country to escape justice: ‘I had already made plans to leave,’ he said.

He told the court he was ‘not a physical person,’ but added: ‘When you’re in teaching you sometimes touch children. My colleagues did too. But not in a way that overstepped the mark.’

The hearing is expected to last four days.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Education
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
Transgender darts player says ban was based on flawed study
Hantavirus ship Hondius to dock in Rotterdam
Three arrests as national anti-asylum protests draw small crowds
Operation Hellfire: A fun house mirror of international law
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now