The government will announce if there is to be a change in the vaccination strategy at Tuesday’s press conference, following widespread criticism of the approach to the AstraZeneca vaccine, broadcaster NOS said on Monday evening.
Last week health minister Hugo de Jonge said the Netherlands would stop using the AstraZeneca vaccine on the under 60s because of the risk of developing rare blood clots. But this decision has been slammed by immunologists, hospital chiefs and family doctors – and contravenes the formal advice issued by the European Medicines Agency.
Ernst Kuipers, head of the patient monitoring network LNAZ, said on Monday the government’s decision was ‘incomprehensible’. Doctors too argue that the under 60s should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not to take the risk.
‘As far as we are concerned that can be done, but it is up to the minister to decide,’ a spokesman told NOS, clearing the way for De Jonge to announce a rethink.
Health ministry officials have said they do not consider the idea to be a good one. ‘It would not be sensible and there are alternatives,’ a spokesman said.
Germany and Italy have given the under-60s the choice.
The health council has also suggested that the government can consider increasing the length of time between the two jabs of the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccine. This would allow more people to be protected more quickly and reduce hospital admissions, the health council said.
The first shipment of one-dose Janssen vaccines arrived in the Netherlands on Monday and is destined for front line health service staff.
So far the Netherlands has carried out 3.2 million vaccinations, officials said on Tuesday. De Jonge had pledged everyone over the age of 18 who wanted a jab would have had at least once dose by July, but this target now seems unlikely.
Officials have already said that there will be no relaxation of the coronavirus rules announced on Tuesday evening, but that universities and colleges will be able to resume limited face to face teaching from April 26.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.