The ban on passenger fights from Britain, South Africa and a number of countries in South America is to be extended to April 1, transport minister Cora van Nieuwenhuizen has confirmed.
The ban was brought in on January 23 in an effort to stop more virulent variants of coronavirus taking hold and was due to expire on March 4.
The ban is being extended in line with recommendations from the government’s Outbreak Management Team which says that it should remain in force because so few people are following the quarantine requirements.
‘As long as compliance with the quarantine policy in the Netherlands is insufficient, it is important to keep passenger flows to a minimum, especially from countries where the different variants are circulating,’ the OMT said.
The ban on flights from Cape Verde, however, is being lifted.
The government said last month that it is working on regulations which would enshrine the quarantine requirements in law.
Arrivals in the Netherlands are required to show negative coronavirus test results and to go into quarantine for at least five days, 10 if they do not take a second test five days after their arrival.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.