Saturday 24 October 2020

Nicky Verstappen suspect to face manslaughter, not murder charge

Spanish police released photographs of the arrest

Jos Brech, the survivalist suspected of killing 11-year-old Nicky Verstappen 20 years ago, is facing charges of manslaughter rather than murder, local paper De Limburger said on Friday.

The paper says court officials feel there is not enough evidence to convict Brech of deliberately setting out to kill Nicky and have called on the public prosecution department to soften the charge.

Manslaughter carries a maximum of 15 years in jail while people found guilty of murder can be sentenced to life imprisonment.

Journalist Peter R de Vries, who has supported the family in their efforts to find out what happened to their son, told the Telegraaf they were expecting this.

‘It was pretty obvious from the start that murder could not be proved,’ he said. ‘It is the same with all cold cases. Manslaughter is the highest charge that can be brought unless, of course, the suspect confesses.’

DNA

Brech was arrested in Spain on August 26, just a few days after police announced that his DNA had been found on the boy’s body.

Nicky Verstappen was taken from his tent while at summer camp in August 1998. His body was found the next day but his killer has never been identified.

A cold case team started re-investigating the murder five years ago and now new techniques allowed scientists to identify dna found on Nicky’s body and clothes.

Update: Brech’s laywer Gerald Roethof said on Friday evening that his client had not carried out the crime. He did not abuse the boy, kidnap him or kill him, Roethof said, but declined to give further details ‘until the time is right’.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.