Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands

Passengers faced multiple-hour waits at Schiphol security on Monday, with some missing flights, after the airport switched to a new set of contractors under a disputed €6 billion ten-year contract.
Schiphol has cut the number of firms running hand-baggage checks from five to three, and most of the airport’s nearly 5,000 security workers have moved to new employers as a result, broadcaster NOS reported. The airport now holds a stake in each of the three new firms, giving it more direct control over how security is run.
The rollout went badly from the start. Many staff could not begin their shifts because of technical problems with the new passes they need to access the secure zone, FNV trade union representative Serda Karabulut said.
Large numbers also called in sick. Karabulut said workers feared the new rostering system would lead to leave being refused and sick reports rejected.
Schiphol said in a statement that the launch had run into “unexpected understaffing” and IT problems, and that sick reports were higher than expected. By 7pm waiting times had dropped to between 30 and 35 minutes, down from more than an hour earlier in the day, but still well above the airport’s stated norm of about 10 minutes.
The contract was contested in court by losing bidders G4S and CTSN, who argued the winning firms could not deliver the work for 13% less than rival bids. A judge ruled that Schiphol had shown the saving was realistic if duties were reorganised, the Telegraaf reported.
Schiphol is advising passengers to arrive two hours before European flights and three hours before intercontinental departures. KLM said the disruption could cause delays for its passengers. Karabulut said the problems would not be resolved overnight.
The last time security disruption on this scale hit the airport was the summer of 2022, when staff shortages led to four-hour queues, cancelled flights and a temporary cap on passenger numbers.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.
Make a donation