DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Amsterdam’s erotic centre plans hit by local objections

October 7, 2022
Photo: Depositphotos.com
Photo: Depositphotos.com

Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema has delayed plans to announce three locations where a new ‘erotic centre’ could be built because of local resistance.

The mayor had been due to say which three parts of the city were on a shortlist this month, but has now put off the decision until January after borough councils said they had major misgivings about the plans, the Parool reported on Friday.

The plan, launched in 2020, is one of a string of measures being looked at to both reduce budget tourism in the city centre and tackle exploitation and forced work within the sex industry.

The aim is to close many of the red light windows in the heart of the medieval centre and move most prostitution to a new building with better facilities for sex workers and increased monitoring.

Halsema had drawn up a list of eight potential locations including one near the Rai conference centre, one in Oost and one in the still-to-be developed Haven-Stad district in the western port area of the city.

Rai director Paul Riemens told the Parool that an erotic centre was not something he was looking forward to. ‘It would cause so many problems,’ Riemens said. ‘I don’t think it is a good idea and that is what I have told the council.’

The paper said the mayor is now looking for alternative locations, away from residential areas.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Economy Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now