Dutch food safety body NVWA has issued a warning about three-litre bottles of Moët & Chandon Ice Imperial champagne which may be spiked with the hard drug MDMA following the death of one man and the hospitalisation of at least ten others.
Four people have been taken ill in the Netherlands after drinking the spiked champagne, and six were hospitalised in Germany, where one man also died, the NVWA said.
The NVWA said it did not know how the drug ended up in the champagne but said both in Germany and the Netherlands the bottles had been purchased via an ‘as yet unknown website’. This makes it difficult to determine if other Moët & Chandon types of champagne have also been affected, the RIVM said.
In the German incident, the bottle was opened at a restaurant. No more details have been made public about the circumstances surrounding the Dutch case.
The maker has been warned about the incidents but so far no comment has appeared on its website.
The code for the bottles that may be affected is LAJ7QAB6780004, a number which can be found on the label. The NVWA recommends that people pay attention when pouring out the champagne. If it contains MDMA it will not be fizzy and the colour will be a reddish brown. It will also smell of aniseed.
MDMA, which is an ingredient of party drug ecstasy, can be extremely dangerous particularly if consumed in unknown quantities.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation