DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 21 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Health ministry cannot account for over €5bn of its 2020 budget

May 19, 2021

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favorite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favorite source on Google
Room for improvement at VWS accounts department Photo: Depositphotos.com

The independent government audit office Algemene Rekenkamer has singled out the health ministry for particular criticism for being unable to account for a €5bn spend during 2020, Dutch media report.

In its annual audit check of ministry spending, traditionally presented on the third Wednesday in May, the Rekenkamer acknowledged that the coronavirus crisis had put pressure on the health ministry to take a raft of measures, but that this had led to ‘serious shortcomings’ in the accounts department.

Some €1bn of the unjustified expenditure went on testing materials. In total, €1.2bn was spent on protection for healthcare workers and respirators for care homes while €2bn went on bonuses for medical staff.

The Rekenkamer said that receipts for respirators were missing and that is unclear if the number of corona tests specified on the invoices had been in fact delivered.

The coronavirus crisis has ‘uncovered structural weaknesses’, the Rekenkamer said. Over the last 20 years 17 deficiencies have been found in the health ministry budget. ‘This shows that the problem was there before the crisis. In this case “Never waste a good crisis” applies, in other words, tackle the problem,’ the report said.

The Rekenkamer took the unusual step of slapping the ministry with a ‘formal objection’, the highest mark of disapproval at its disposal. An aggravating factor, it said, was that health minister Hugo de Jonge had been told about the problems as early as September 2020 but did not act on the warning until 2021.

The health ministry said has now submitted an ‘improvement plan’ and will be spending more money to bring accountancy skills up to par.

Face masks

In another issue, the Volkskrant has revealed that the ministry spent over €100m on face masks bought via entrepreneur Sywert van Lienden which later turned out to be surplus to requirements and a potential health risk. Van Lienden said in public he would not profit financially from the deal but allegedly did.

In total, the Rekenkamer found 50 instances where it could not be established if tax money had been spent responsibly last year, up three compared with 2019.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Politics
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Asylum riot arrests reveal scale of outside involvement
Dutch slavery toll five times official figure, book argues
Major Dutch banks reverse crypto policies and back EU stablecoin
Close-up of the front of a Dutch fire engine
Industrial site zoned off after asbestos released in fire
Amsterdam issues 2000 emergency supply kits to poor households
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now