DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Public prosecutor outlines crash investigation at MH17 trial

March 10, 2020
A reconstruction of the wreckage of MH17 by the Dutch Safety Board.
A reconstruction of the wreckage of MH17 by the Dutch Safety Board.

On the second day of preliminary hearings in the MH17 murder trial, the public prosecution department is outlining the contours of the investigation so far and is expected to suggest that the main trial be dealt with in stages.

Four suspects – three Russians and one Ukrainian – are charged with causing the crash of flight MH17, resulting in the death of all 298 persons on board, and of their murder.  The four are alleged to have cooperated to obtain and deploy the BUK missile at the firing location with the aim of shooting down the aircraft.

Read the public prosecutor’s opening statement (English)

One of the four, Russian national Oleg Pulatov, has hired a Dutch lawyer to represent him although neither he nor the other three are at the high security Schiphol courtroom.

The lawyer told television current affairs show Nieuwsuur on Monday night that Pulatov may be willing to be questioned by the court via a video link, but will not come to the Netherlands because he would be arrested.

The public prosecutor discussed at length whether Pulatov could be granted ‘safe passage’ to testify, but following Dutch case law, it cannot be guaranteed that he would be protected from prosecution. ‘It would be hard to see someone leaving the courtroom who has been charged in this case,’ said Thijs Berger, one of the three prosecutors in the case.

Evidence

Much of the rest of the day has focused on the quality of the evidence. Behind the scenes, Russia has been attempting to discredit the evidence, much of which is open-source including Google Map images and social media posts.

This week’s sessions are largely procedural and the actual hearings are not expected to start until the autumn, at the earliest. Some experts take the case will take several years. According to broadcaster NOS, the Dutch government has set aside €54m to fund the case up to 2023.

At the end of the hearing, it is expected that the legal representative for the victims will speak before the court.

Tuesday’s proceedings can be followed via this link.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now