The Syrian man arrested in The Hague for stabbing three people has given a statement to police, broadcaster NOS reported.
However, the public prosecution department has not released any details about the statement, nor said if it confirms suspicions that the man had a terrorist motive, NOS said.
The 31-year-old man is accused of three cases of attempted murder, and threatening others with a knife. He was shot by police during his arrest and remains in hospital where he is under armed guard.
Police said at the time the man had a previous record of mentally disturbed behaviour and The Telegraaf reported that he had been involved in an incident in February where he threw furniture and possessions out of the window of his flat in the city centre.
The three victims of Saturday’s incident, a 21-year-old man from Zoetermeer and two people from The Hague aged 41 and 35, were seriously injured but their lives were not in danger.
Local residents told broadcaster Omroep West that the man had been involved in other disturbances in the neighbourhood and claimed he shouted ‘Allah akhbar’ in the course of Saturday’s stabbings on Johanna Westerdijkplein.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation