Amsterdam city council is to take more measures to head off the risk of a terrorist attack in the city and cutting the queues outside attractions such as the Heineken Experience is on the list, officials say.
Large concrete blocks were last year placed at popular locations to stop cars driving into the crowds and these are to be replaced with permanent structures, the city said in a statement.
These could include steel obstacles which can be sunk into the ground, fences and bike racks, the city said. ‘In addition to physical measures, preventative measures will also be taken, such as shortening the queues outside museums and ensuring good escape routes,’ the statement said.
‘Despite the measures, we can never completely rule out an attack…’ officials said. In addition, it is impossible to place barriers at all busy locations in the city because it would be paralysed, the statement said.
Meanwhile in Rotterdam, the DSI anti-terror unit held a practice exercise on the city’s underground system on Wednesday evening involving dozens of marines and volunteers.
The aim was to recreate an attack on the metro during the Kings Day celebrations.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation