The public prosecutor wants tougher sentences for the football hooligans who stormed the Maasgebouw in Rotterdam in September 2011.
The behaviour of the 50 Feyenoord supporters was said to be so threatening that police pulled their guns and fired warning shots.
Six of the men were sentenced on Tuesday to between 100 and 180 hours of community service and were banned from the stadium and an area of one kilometre around the stadium during Feyenoord matches.
This is a lighter sentence than that demanded by the public prosecutor, but the judge ruled the publication of the men’s photos before their arrest did not have a sufficient basis in law. This affected the sentence.
The public prosecutor disagrees and wants the court to rule on the use of photos on billboards and in the media as an aid to arresting culprits.
Last month Rotterdam said it would use photos on billboards to try to identify robbery suspects.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation