The foreign office has added an explicit warning about sexual violence to its travel advice for those travelling to Kenya following news on Monday that five young Dutch women were in the country during an attack on a charity project last week.
The five women, aged between 17 and 25 were raped by a group of Kenyan men while on a working holiday organised by the Amersfoort based charity Livingstone.
The Dutch government’s formal advice remains unchanged, warning people to be ‘alert’ when travelling to Kenya.
The Kenyan government has described the incident as ‘terrible’ and says it will do everything possible to find the attackers, a spokesman for the foreign affairs ministry told ANP news agency. The Dutch embassy in Nairobi will keep a close eye on developments, he added.
Click here for yesterday’s story on the attack
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation