Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema has delayed plans to announce three locations where a new ‘erotic centre’ could be built because of local resistance.
The mayor had been due to say which three parts of the city were on a shortlist this month, but has now put off the decision until January after borough councils said they had major misgivings about the plans, the Parool reported on Friday.
The plan, launched in 2020, is one of a string of measures being looked at to both reduce budget tourism in the city centre and tackle exploitation and forced work within the sex industry.
The aim is to close many of the red light windows in the heart of the medieval centre and move most prostitution to a new building with better facilities for sex workers and increased monitoring.
Halsema had drawn up a list of eight potential locations including one near the Rai conference centre, one in Oost and one in the still-to-be developed Haven-Stad district in the western port area of the city.
Rai director Paul Riemens told the Parool that an erotic centre was not something he was looking forward to. ‘It would cause so many problems,’ Riemens said. ‘I don’t think it is a good idea and that is what I have told the council.’
The paper said the mayor is now looking for alternative locations, away from residential areas.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.