DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Amsterdam cancels plans for New Year fireworks shows because of Covid

November 16, 2021
New Year fireworks in Amsterdam. Photo: Depositphotos.com

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favorite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favorite source on Google
New Year fireworks in Amsterdam. Photo: Depositphotos.com

Amsterdam has scrapped plans to organise several large firework shows to celebrate the New Year because of the coronavirus measures.

Mayor Femke Halsema told councillors in a briefing that the prospects for partying are ‘very gloomy’ and it would not be responsible to press ahead with organizing the shows, including a ‘spectacular’ on the Museumplein. In addition, she said, it would not have been possible to work with coronavirus passes, as required by large events.

In October, the city agreed to ban the use of consumer fireworks during the New Year festivities and replace them with centrally-organised events.

Rotterdam has not yet said if it will press ahead with its show on the Erasmus bridge, nor has The Hague yet commented on its plans.

Fireworks were also banned last year even though the rule was widely flouted. Nevertheless, the ban did lead to a 70% reduction in the number of people taken to hospital with firework-related injuries.

Government health advisors are currently looking into the option of introducing a nationwide ban, with the aim of reducing the pressure on the healthcare services.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Asylum riot arrests reveal scale of outside involvement
Dutch slavery toll five times official figure, book argues
Major Dutch banks reverse crypto policies and back EU stablecoin
Close-up of the front of a Dutch fire engine
Industrial site zoned off after asbestos released in fire
Amsterdam issues 2000 emergency supply kits to poor households
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now