Tuesday 27 July 2021

Feyenoord condemns abuse of Steven Berghuis following Ajax transfer

Steven Berghuis in action during Euro 2020. Photo: ANP/ Pieter Stam de Jonge

Feyenoord has condemned a section of its fans for posting threats to former club captain Steven Berghuis following his transfer to Ajax.

The Rotterdam club singled out a banner that was photographed and shared on social media suggesting Berghuis deserved the same fate as Peter R. de Vries, the journalist who was shot dead in Amsterdam two weeks ago.

‘Feyenoord explicitly distances itself from the deeply hurtful and threatening statements such as the appalling banner directed at Steven Berghuis circulating on social media, and calls for it to stop,’ the club said in a statement on Twitter.

Berghuis, 29, completed his move to Ajax last week for an initial €4 million after reviving his career during a five-year spell at Feyenoord, during which he scored 87 goals in 199 games.

‘In choosing a new club I was looking to develop as a footballer and combine playing for trophies, playing in the Champions League and staying in the picture for the national team,’ Berghuis said. ‘I think Ajax brings all those things together.’

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.