Wednesday 23 June 2021

NAM director calls for rethink on Groningen earthquake damage

Photo: Depositphotos.com

Just 50 not 26,000 homes in the Groningen earthquake area need strengthening to comply with the latest safety standards, according to Johan Atema, director of gas company NAM in the NRC.

So far 2,000 homes have been strengthened because they are vulnerable to the quakes, caused by the ground settling after natural gas has been extracted. And only half the 26,000 homes identified as being problematic have actually been inspected.

Nevertheless, says Atema, this work is not needed because the risk of a serious earthquake is much smaller now drilling for gas has been cut right back. ‘The strengthening operation is no longer necessary,’ he told the paper.

Both the economic and home affairs ministries have told the NRC this conclusion is ‘premature’. A house has to be inspected before it can be determined whether or not it meets the safety standards, a spokesman said.

Gas extraction in the region is due to be completely phased out by 2030 but former economic affairs minister Erik Wiebes has hinted at an earlier date.

Attributable

Atema said NAM only wants to pay for damage which can be directly attributable to gas extraction. ‘If we end up in a legal dispute I would not really mind,’ Atema told the paper. ‘I would like objective arbitration about this.’

NAM no longer has a role in deciding which homes need work, but does have to pick up the bill for all the damage caused by gas extraction. Last year, the company had to fork out around €1bn.

NAM, is a joint venture set up by Shell and Esso in 1947 to exploit the Netherlands’ natural resource.

More than 1,000 quakes of up to 3.6 on the Richter scale have hit the province since 1986.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.