DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

MPs call for king and prime minister to stay away from World Cup in Qatar

February 26, 2021
The Krestovsky Stadium in Qatar. (Picture via Wikipedia)

The king and prime minister should not attend the World Cup in Qatar if the Netherlands qualifies for next year’s tournament, MPs have decided.

A motion by Socialist MP Sadet Karabulut was supported by the GroenLinks, Labour (PvdA) and D66 parties and passed by a majority of MPs.

Karabulut said the government should not be represented because of ‘appalling conditions’ for migrant workers building the stadiums, which have led to around 6,500 deaths.

The motion is not binding on the government and caretaker foreign affairs minister Stef Blok has said nations would do better to use the World Cup to ‘put further pressure’ on the Gulf state to improve conditions for workers.

ChristenUnie leader Gert-Jan Segers and his D66 counterpart Sigrid Kaag told NOS earlier this week that the Netherlands should consider boycotting or withdrawing from the tournament. ‘The ground that the stadiums are built on is drenched in blood,’ Segers said.

The Dutch will begin their qualifying campaign on March 24 against Turkey in Istanbul.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Politics Sport
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now