Parents hit by the tax office child benefit scandal scandal will receive compensation before the end of the year, the finance ministry said on Tuesday.
Some 300 families were forced to pay back thousands of euros in what the tax office said was wrongly-claimed child benefits, without knowing what they were supposed to have done wrong.
Last month, a government committee set up to investigate the scandal said the tax office should pay compensation to the families some of whom faced financial ruin.
Most were dual national families, who not only lost benefits but were ordered to pay back money stretching several years. One family faced a €75,000 bill after the tax office said it had wrongly claimed benefits without producing any evidence.
The offer, ranging between €20,000 and €66,000 is only an estimate and does not legal costs or compensation to families forced to sell their possessions to meet the tax office demands.
The definitive amounts will be paid next year.
The families will also receive a letter from tax minister Menno Snel in which he tells them that he understands the money can never compensate them fully for everything they have gone through.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.