Monday 16 September 2019

Public prosecutor says sorry after sending murdered girl a letter

Photo: Depositphotos.com

The public prosecution department has apologised for sending a letter to a Rotterdam teenager who was murdered in December, to tell her the contact ban imposed on her stalker was still in force.

The letter was written to Humeyra by the public prosecution department and delivered to her parents’ home earlier this week, the AD reported on Friday.

The 16 year old was shot dead outside her school in Rotterdam just 45 minutes before she was due to talk to police again about being stalked.

Her former boyfriend Bekir E who had been given a suspended jail term and banned from contacting the girl in August last year, has been charged with the killing. She broke off the relationship after discovering he was 30.

The department told the AD that it deeply regrets sending the letter, which was sent as part of a system informing the victims of crime about their case. In the letter, the official states that E had withdrawn his appeal against the contact ban and that she could expect €750 in compensation, the AD said.

E is due to appear in court for a procedural hearing on June 17.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 12 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.