The man arrested in connection with Monday’s tram shooting in Utrecht which left three people dead is under investigation for murder and attempted murder with terrorist intent, the public prosecution department said on Thursday.
Gökmen Tanis, 37, was arrested in the evening of the attack and will appear in court on Friday for a remand hearing.
The investigation is still underway and no relationship has yet been established between the suspect and the victims, the public prosecution department confirmed. Nor is there any evidence that Tanis had help from anyone else.
The investigation is ‘looking into whether the suspect acted from a terrorist motive alone or whether his actions stemmed from personal problems combined with radicalized thoughts,’ the statement said.
Tanis has a history of petty crime and had been released from jail on licence pending a trial for rape less than three weeks before the shooting.
The second person who remains in custody in connection with the attack may have had a supporting role, rather than links with the actual shooting, the department said.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 12 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.