Companies importing fireworks into the Netherlands for the New Year celebrations have not yet come up with a safe system for setting off rockets, broadcaster NOS said on Thursday.
Ministers agreed in June that firework sellers will be required to provide their customers with free protective glasses and secure supports for setting off rockets, but decided not to ban the sale of consumer fireworks altogether.
Government inspectors have tests five different launching systems for rockets but all have been ruled too unstable, the broadcaster said.
Junior environment minister Stientje van Veldhoven has urged importers to make more of an effort to find a launching system which meets safety standards. However, it is still to early to ban the sale of rockets, her spokesman told NOS.
Last year the Dutch safety board OVV said firecrackers and rockets should be banned during the New Year’s Eve celebrations in order to cut back on injuries and damage to property.
Some 500 people end up at accidents and emergency departments with serious injuries during the New Year’s Eve celebrations, making it the most dangerous time of the year in many places, the board said.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 12 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.