Earthquake of 2.8 shakes northern Groningen

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results
See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results
Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on GoogleAn earthquake measuring 2.8 on the Richter scale struck the north of Groningen in the early hours of Friday, the heaviest to hit the region since March.
The epicentre was near the village of Zandeweer, in the Het Hogeland area, at a depth of three kilometres, the meteorological agency KNMI said. The quake was recorded at around 5.50am local time.
Residents in the nearby villages of Uithuizen, Kantens, Rottum and Middelstum said they had felt the tremor, broadcaster NOS reported. No damage or injuries had been reported by Friday morning.
The KNMI classed the quake as an “induced earthquake”, meaning it was caused by gas extraction. Tremors linked to drilling tend to occur closer to the surface, making them easier to feel; those measuring 1.5 and above are noticeable.
Extraction from the main Groningen field stopped two years ago, but the KNMI has warned that quakes can continue for decades as the ground settles. Gas is still being pumped from smaller fields in the province, where drilling is permitted until the end of 2032.
The last comparable tremor was a 3.0 quake near Eleveld in Drenthe in March. The strongest of the 31 induced quakes recorded near the Groningen field last year was a 3.4 tremor at Zeerijp in November, among the heaviest ever measured in the province.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.
Make a donation