Dutch finance minister Wopke Hoekstra has cancelled his visit to Saudia Arabia because of the probable murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Hoekstra was due to attend an investment conference in Riyadh next week and take part in a panel session. He hinted earlier this week that he may pull out of the event.
Last week Hoekstra said reports that Khashoggi had been killed and dismembered inside the Saudi embassy were ‘very worrying’ and that he is following developments closely in consultation with the foreign affairs ministry.
The Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh is still going ahead, despite the ‘disappointing’ withdrawal of several guest and speakers, website Arab News reported earlier this week.
Several companies – ranging from Google and Uber, to banking giants JP Morgan Chase and Credit Suisse have pulled out, citing concerns about Khashoggi’s disappearance.
The Netherlands is due to send a trade mission to Saudi Arabia in December but foreign minister Stef Blok said on Thursday that given the seriousness of the claims, it may not be appropriate to let the mission go ahead at a political level.
Trade minister Sigrid Kaag is supposed to lead the delegation.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.