A 43-year-old man from Lingewaard, south of Arnhem, is suspected of planning a terrorist attack on Muslims, the public prosecution department confirmed on Wednesday.
The man was arrested in late May and has been remanded in custody since then. He will appear in court in Zutphen for a pro-forma hearing on September 7.
The investigation began after the department was tipped off that the man felt violence against Muslims is justified and that he was working on some form of attack. Officials were also told the man was able to get hold of a quantity of explosives, the public prosecution department said.
However, officials have not yet found any evidence that the man had concrete plans for an attack, despite seizing an alarm pistol and a large quantity of live bullets from his home.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 13 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.