Wednesday 18 September 2019

Pim Fortuyn’s killer wins probation case, clearing the way to move abroad

The man convicted of killing populist politician Pim Fortuyn in 2004 has won the right not to report to the probation services every six weeks.

Volkert van der Graaf went to court two weeks ago, saying the condition is making it impossible for him to emigrate. The 48-year-old said earlier that he wanted to start a new life in Germany.

Van der Graaf was freed in May 2014 under strict conditions, having served two-thirds of an 18-year sentence.

The original sentence took full account of the seriousness of his crime, the court said in its ruling. ‘But the seriousness of the crime does not have a role in determining if he should continue to report to the probation services,’ the court said.

The court ruled in line with the recommendations of the Dutch institute for forensic psychiatry NIFP which said that the reporting requirement no longer had any added value. This is because the risk of Van der Graaf reoffending is very small and he is not suffering from any psychiatric illness.

Fortuyn, was shot dead in a car park in Hilversum as he left a recording studio, nine days before the 2002 general election.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 12 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.