Friday 21 February 2020

Rotterdam attack threat suspect is being investigated for terrorist crimes

Photo: Depositphotos.com

The 22-year-old man from Brabant arrested in connection with the recent terrorist threat in Rotterdam is officially being investigated for his potential involvement in terrorist crimes, the public prosecution department has told website Nu.nl.

Jimmy F was arrested at his home in Zevenbergen by anti-terrorist police after it was confirmed that he was the source of the threat that caused a rock concert to be cancelled at short notice.

A tip-off by Spanish police led the city’s mayor Ahmed Abouteleb to cancel the performance by Californian band Allah-Las in the city’s Maassilo venue. The threat said that an attack would take place during the performance and the tip-off was serious enough to merit cancelling the concert, the mayor told reporters later.

It later turned out that the threat had been made by F using the online messaging system Telegram, which is a popular communication method for jihadis.

Meanwhile, Rotterdam is planning to place obstacles to stop cars plowing into pedestrians on the Witte de Withstraat in the heart of the city. The obstacles will be integrated into the landscape in the form of plant pots, bike racks and other street furniture, officials said.

Amsterdam also has plans to beef up security measures around popular tourist sites and other areas of international importance.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 13 years, but now we are asking our readers to help. Your donation will enable us to keep providing you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch.
Donate via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.