The Netherlands has resumed extraditing people suspected of criminal offences to Turkey, a year after extraditions were suspended.
The Netherlands stopped sending people back to Turkey in the wake of the attempted coup on July 15, 2016. Now, however, Turkey has given guarantees that suspects will be well treated and given a fair trial, a spokesman for the justice ministry told Trouw.
The first extradition took place earlier this month and another man is facing extradition at a court hearing on Friday. He is suspected of drug dealing but his lawyer Bert Stapert told Trouw he does not believe his client will get a fair trial.
According to Trouw, acting justice minister Stef Blok is reviewing every case on an individual basis.
The Netherlands has an extradition treaty with Turkey and it would be a ‘highly undesirable situation if crimes like drug dealing, assault, burglaries or even murder were to remain unpunished because of political developments in another country, Trouw quotes the minister as saying.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.