Friday 25 September 2020

First shipment of Naples rubbish arrives in Rotterdam

Work began on unloading the first shipment of household waste from Naples, Italy, in Rotterdam port on Monday.


Over-capacity at Dutch waste-powered electricity plants led the government to licence waste disposal firm Van Gansewinkel to process some 50,000 tonnes of Italian waste, Nos television says.
In addition, energy firm Eon is negotiating a contract to dispose of 150,000 tonnes of rubbish from Naples. And earlier this month, it emerged German waste may also soon be imported to the Netherlands for disposal.
No solution
However, Delft University professor Bendiks Jan Boersma told Nos importing waste is not the right solution to Italy’s waste disposal problems.
Instead, people should be encouraged to sort their waste more carefully. ‘We should generate as little waste as possible,’ he said. ‘ Now it is becoming a lucrative business.’
Boersma also warns that the Italian waste may contain dangerous substances which will be released into the atmosphere when the rubbish is burnt. ‘Burning waste is not clean, so I have to ask why we have to do it here?’ he said.
Photo: Kees Spruijt/Novum

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.