DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 20 August 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Bruls calls on justice ministry to enforce motorway tractor ban

August 20, 2026
Farmers on the A59 motorway near Den Bosch last Friday, shortly before the crash. Photo: Jeroen Jumelet/ANP

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

Local politicians have called for nationwide rules to be enforced to keep tractors off motorways in the wake of a fatal crash during a farmers’ protest a week ago.

Hubert Bruls, mayor of Nijmegen and chair of the board of regional safety councils, said it was “incomprehensible” that local authorities took different approaches to enforcing the traffic rules.

Last Friday two people died in a collision on the A59 at the tail end of a queue that had built up on the A59 near Hees, a suburb of Nijmegen.

Police and the prosecution service had said before the collision happened that they would not prosecute farmers who drove tractors onto the motorway, even though they are prohibited, citing the right to demonstrate.

The prosecution service has since said that anyone who drives a tractor onto the motorway will be subject to enforcement, even though police said at an earlier demonstration that they did not have enough evidence to go on because the farmers had taped over their numberplates.

Bruls told NOS he wanted to hold talks with the justice ministry to decide on a national strategy for offences on the motorway.

“It’s not manageable for the police if every mayor comes up with their own guidelines and the rules change every 10 or 15 kilometres. Some things should be agreed at a regional level.

“For motorways we need to have a national approach because the motorway network covers the whole country.”

Prime minister Rob Jetten said following last week’s deadly crash it was “unacceptable” for farm vehicles to be on motorways. “It leads to very dangerous situations,” he said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Farming Politics Protest Road safety
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Prosecutors link three more deaths to drugs sold on internet
Max Verstappen signs Red Bull extension on eve of Dutch GP
Community remembers 17-year-old Lisa, but safety concerns remain
Bruls calls on justice ministry to enforce motorway tractor ban
Unemployment climbs to 4% in June, breaking downward trend
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now