DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 24 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Motive for Erasmus bridge stabbing still unclear, mayor says

September 26, 2024
The attack happened underneath the bridge. Photo: Holland.com

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

The motive for the stabbing by the Erasmus bridge a week ago, in which one man died and a second was injured, remains unclear, Rotterdam mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb said on Thursday.

Speaking during his last council meeting as mayor, Aboutaleb said many questions about the incident still remain unanswered. For example, he said, it is unclear why the man went to Rotterdam from his home in Amersfoort and where he got hold of the knives.

The public prosecution department has said the killing may have been a terrorist incident. Witnesses said the man shouted “Allahu akbar” as he attacked.

Since then it has emerged that the suspect Ayoub M has a psychiatric illness and had earlier tried to kill his mother. He has also undergone treatment in a secure unit.

M’s victim was German national, Philipp Winter, who had moved to Rotterdam six months earlier to pursue his dream job. A 33-year-old Swiss national who was also wounded in the attack was released from hospital on Sunday after being treated for his injuries.

Carola Schouten, the former farm minister and a ChristenUnie stalwart, takes over as Rotterdam mayor on October 10.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Murder Rotterdam Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now