Environmental protest group Extinction Rebellion says it will restart its rolling demonstrations in The Hague after accusing politicians of “backtracking” on commitments to cut fossil fuel subsidies.
The group halted its daily blockades of the A12 motorway in October when MPs agreed to debate a motion that called for tax incentives, government investment schemes and other types of support to be phased out.
However, the senate voted down plans in December to abolish two fossil fuel subsidies, while caretaker climate minister Rob Jetten has not yet published a list of scenarios for scaling back funding, which was due by the end of January.
The general election in November has also tilted the balance in parliament towards the climate-sceptic right. PVV party leader Geert Wilders has denounced laws and targets to curb global warming as “useless climate hobbies” and vowed to put them “straight into the shredder”.
Extinction Rebellion said it would resume its protests on February 3 with a blockade of the Utrechtsebaan tunnel, which connects the A12 to the centre of The Hague.
The group said it was taking the step because “politicians are backtracking” and “continuing to feed the climate crisis with subsidies worth €39.7 to €46.4 billion a year.”
Thousands of people were arrested during dozens of protests last year that regularly brought the motorway to a standstill. However, nearly all the demonstrators were taken to ADO’s football stadium before being released without charge.
Seven protest leaders were given community work sentences of between 30 and 60 hours after being found guilty of incitement.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation