DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 18 August 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Prince Bernhard cashes out of real estate to go into AI

July 28, 2026
Prince Bernhard on a speedboat
Prince Bernhard in 2016. Screengrab from YouTube

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

Prince Bernhard has sold his entire business portfolio, including his stake in the Zandvoort motor racing circuit, and will now focus on AI.

The first cousin of king Willem-Alexander told Dutch press agency ANP that he was selling his interest in Media Park in Hilversum, IT company Levi9, and his extensive real estate portfolio to his business partners.

“The world is changing faster than ever. New technologies, artificial intelligence, and major societal changes are creating opportunities that we could hardly have imagined ten years ago,” he said.

The 56-year-old did not disclose the amount of the sale, but business magazine Quote has estimated his net worth at around €160 million.

Bernhard’s large real estate holdings – 98 buildings according to Quote – have earned him the nickname pandjesprins, or the property prince.

In 2017, an investigation by Amsterdam newspaper Het Parool found that Bernhard’s companies engaged in practices that violated Amsterdam’s housing regulations.

Earlier this year, Bernhard announced he and his wife, Princess Annette, were separating after 25 years of marriage.

The prince bought the Zandvoort circuit 10 years ago with the aim of bringing Formula 1 back to the Netherlands. F1 racing returned to Zandvoort in 2021 after a 36-year absence, after the scheduled 2020 race was cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The final edition of the Dutch Grand Prix will be held later this year. Organisers announced in 2024 that they wouldn’t continue beyond the current contract because the costs were too high.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Royals
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
More Dutch adults are single or living apart, says CBS
Schools return as new Dutch and maths targets become law
Two minors held after second Zaandam explosion in five days
Dutch companies to receive €1bn in Trump tariff compensation
Far-right FVD-linked school opens in Almere with state funding
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now