Feyenoord fans have once again been banned from a European match in Rome to prevent a repeat of the scenes in 2015, when riots left €8 million of damage in the Italian capital.
No Feyenoord supporters will be allowed into the Stadio Olimpico for the Europa League match on February 22, the Italian interior ministry said this week.
Feyenoord have banned Roma’s fans from De Kuip for the first leg on February 15 as a retaliatory measure. In a statement on its website the club said it would be “irresponsible” on sporting and safety grounds to allow away supporters.
It is the second time this season that the Rotterdam club have played in the city, after they were drawn against Lazio in the Champions League group stages.
No away fans were allowed at the two matches between the clubs, with Lazio winning 1-0 in Rome after Feyenoord prevailed 3-1 in Rotterdam.
Last season the clubs met in the quarter-finals of the Europa League, with Roma winning 4-2 on aggregate after extra time. The club, then managed by José Mourinho, also came out on top 1-0 when the teams contested the Conference League final the year before.
Mourinho was sacked by Roma last week after a 3-1 defeat to AC Milan left the club in ninth place. His place was taken by former Italy midfielder and World Cup winner Daniele de Rossi.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation