DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Government drops self testing and quarantine for coronavirus

March 10, 2023
Photo: Depositphotos.com
Photo: Depositphotos.com

The cabinet on Friday agreed to scrap the last of the coronavirus measures currently  in place, dropping the self-test requirement if people have complaints as well as the remaining quarantine measures.

The move had been recommended by the government’s Outbreak Management Team earlier this month.

Coronavirus will now be treated as any other infection of the airways, health minister Ernst Kuipers said after the Friday cabinet meeting. The remaining regional testing centres will close and there will be no new vaccination round, Kuipers said.

‘Almost everyone’ in the Netherlands has build up some level of resistance to the infection and coronavirus is now less serious than it was, the minister told reporters.

‘By ending the last of the coronavirus measures, we are leaving behind an extraordinary period, and one which we will not forget quickly,’ Kuipers said. ‘And we must not forget it, because coronavirus is still with us and will remain with us.’

Three years

The first coronavirus case in the Netherlands was identified just over three years ago. Since then an estimated 8.6 million people caught the virus and over 47,000 people have died.

In addition, one in eight people are reporting long-lasting health complaints and tens of thousands are suffering from Long Covid.

Hospitalisations

The cabinet’s decision comes as hospitalisations have been rising again, particularly in the south, where Carnaval was celebrated some two weeks ago.  On Friday, 884 people were being treated in hospital with coronavirus, of whom 31 are in intensive care.

The public health institute RIVM said earlier this week that even though the level of circulation has gone down ‘there are still groups of vulnerable people who have a higher risk of serious illness’.

Some patients’ groups have reacted to the news that the last measures are disappearing with disappointment, saying the government’s decision is a slap in the face to everyone with serious health issues.

‘We would ask everyone to take those with vulnerable health into account and understand that they might not want to shake hands or would prefer to keep their distance,’ said lung charity Longfonds. ‘Let us show solidarity and take each others’ needs into account.’

The RIVM says will continue to monitor the virus closely, using sewage, hospital admissions and other sources, even though it is now at an endemic stage. ‘Effective surveillance remains important to maintain early detection of resurgences, new variants and changes in protection against severe illness due to COVID-19,’ the agency said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
Transgender darts player says ban was based on flawed study
Hantavirus ship Hondius to dock in Rotterdam
Three arrests as national anti-asylum protests draw small crowds
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now