Dutch rescue workers help save Ibrahim, 8, from under the rubble
Dutch rescue workers in Turkey have helped to bring out an eight-year-old boy who had been trapped under rubble for 106 hours, following Monday’s devastating earthquakes.
The boy, named Ibrahim, is conscious and has been taken to hospital by ambulance, a spokesman for the USAR said.
This “very special news”… has given us the energy to carry on with our efforts, Arjen Littooij said in a short video message.
The Netherlands sent a team of 65 people and eight search and rescue dogs to the region on Monday, as soon as the extent of the quake damage became clear. The death toll is now nearing 23,000.
Earlier on Friday, a second flight of doctors, nurses and construction workers left the Netherlands for the disaster zone, on board a flight supplied by travel company Corendon, which has Turkish roots.
The flight is an initiative of a transport company in Vijfhuisen, broadcaster NOS reported.
Meanwhile, talks are underway with Turkey about opening the border with Syria temporarily to ease the rescue operation following Monday’s earthquakes, prime minister Mark Rutte said at his Friday press conference.
There is currently only one way through and that is making it difficult to reach the stricken areas in Syria.
‘We are trying to play our role,’ Rutte said. ‘We have an excellent relationship with president Erdogan’s government and we are, of course, trying to make the most of that.’
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation