Amsterdam mayor ‘buried under threats’ after Ajax title party blocked
Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema says she had been ‘buried under threats’ after the city council said Ajax will not be allowed to celebrate winning the Eredivisie on Museumplein.
With two games to go, Ajax are four points clear of PSV in the league, and could secure the title on Wednesday when they play Heerenveen at home. But the council has said the celebrations will have to take place in the stadium rather than the city centre.
‘Since we put out this message, I have been personally buried under threats and swearing,’ Halsema said on Instagram. ‘I rarely react to these things, but now I would ask urgently: “restrain yourselves”.’
Officials had contacted ‘numerous companies’ in an effort to organise a celebrations on Museumplein, but ‘together with Ajax we have had to conclude that we cannot organise this safely’, Halsema said.
Justice minister Dilan Yesilgöz has also waded into the row, describing the ‘mud’ thrown at Halsema as ‘unworthy of our club’.
‘The mayor must put the safety of Ajax fans and all Amsterdammers first, and that should be respected,’ she said.
In 2019, 100,000 people packed into the area to celebrate Ajax’s league win after Halsema reinstated the Museumplein festivities.
Meanwhile, the Dutch football association KNVB has reportedly said that Sunday’s controversial penalty in the dying minutes of the PSV Feyenoord tie, which gave Feyenoord the draw, should not have been awarded.
Without the penalty, PSV would have narrowed the gap on Ajax to two points, and the championship would still have been wide open.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation