The richest 1% own 25% of Dutch household assets


Financial inequality in the Netherlands has reduced since 2015, but this is largely due to the knock-on effect of the economic crisis and rise in house prices, national statistics agency CBS said.

The richest 1% in Dutch society owned 25% of household assets in 2020, but this is down from 32% in 2016, the CBS said.

In 2020, the top 10% wealthy households owned over 60% of total assets, down from 70% five years earlier.

However, the shift is largely due to property values and if own homes are excluded from the calculations, there has been little change in the asset spread across society, the CBS said.

Thank you for donating to

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation