Fresh appeal for witnesses to fatal assault in Majorca to come forward
Prosecutors say not all witnesses to the fatal beating of a Dutch tourist in Majorca have come forward despite repeated appeals.
Carlo Heuvelman, 27, from Waddinxveen died in hospital four days after being attacked on a beach on the Spanish island on July 14.
Video footage showed him being attacked and kicked in the head by a group of people, several of whom could be heard speaking Dutch.
Spanish authorities identified 13 potential suspects, but 12 of them had left the country by the time police visited their holiday accommodation in Palma. The 13th was released after officers decided he did not play a major role in the incident.
Prosecutors are also investigating claims by two other Dutch tourists who say they were assaulted by the same group that attacked Heuvelman.
The Dutch prosecution service (OM) took over the investigation after a Spanish investigating judge said the case should be tried in the Netherlands.
‘Since then several witnesses have been questioned in the Netherlands, some of whom came forward voluntarily,’ the service said in a statement.
‘More witnesses will be questioned in the short term. These witnesses’ help is extremely important to give us a clear picture of how this violent incident proceeded.
‘It is clear from the images of the incident that there were a lot of bystanders and several of them spoke Dutch. It is also clear that not all of these people have come forward.’
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation