Feyenoord condemns abuse of Steven Berghuis following Ajax transfer
Feyenoord has condemned a section of its fans for posting threats to former club captain Steven Berghuis following his transfer to Ajax.
The Rotterdam club singled out a banner that was photographed and shared on social media suggesting Berghuis deserved the same fate as Peter R. de Vries, the journalist who was shot dead in Amsterdam two weeks ago.
‘Feyenoord explicitly distances itself from the deeply hurtful and threatening statements such as the appalling banner directed at Steven Berghuis circulating on social media, and calls for it to stop,’ the club said in a statement on Twitter.
Feyenoord neemt nadrukkelijk afstand van de zeer kwetsende en bedreigende uitlatingen, zoals het walgelijke spandoek gericht aan Steven Berghuis dat op sociale media rondgaat, en roept op hiermee te stoppen.
— Feyenoord Rotterdam (@Feyenoord) July 18, 2021
Berghuis, 29, completed his move to Ajax last week for an initial €4 million after reviving his career during a five-year spell at Feyenoord, during which he scored 87 goals in 199 games.
‘In choosing a new club I was looking to develop as a footballer and combine playing for trophies, playing in the Champions League and staying in the picture for the national team,’ Berghuis said. ‘I think Ajax brings all those things together.’
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation