DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 21 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Dutchman hit to the tune of €1m after responding to ‘bank’ text message

December 4, 2019

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Photo: Depositphotos.com

A unidentified man from the north of the country has lost almost €1m after falling for a social media trick in which conmen posed as his bank.

The man received a text message in September telling him that his bank card was due to expire and he should click on the link to renew it. The man followed the instructions and woke up the next day to find almost €1m had been stolen from his account.

The money was taken by 136 mules – youngsters who make their bank accounts available to criminals in return for easy cash. They were easily identified because the bank noted something unusual was going on, public prosecution department press officer Gerben Wilbrink told RTV Noord.

Officials are now trying to establish all 136 identities and to track down who was behind the scam, Wilbrink said. It is unclear if all the money will be recovered.

Last month, the Dutch banking association said bank clients lost a total of €3.1m in the first six months of this year through security code fraud, compared to €2.4m the last six months of 2018.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Court convicts Taghi lawyer but does not send her back to jail
Dutch royals pose for summer portraits in The Hague
Refugees sleep outside as accommodation crisis worsens
More Dutch households are worrying about mortgage costs
A hot, sunny weekend ahead and there is more to come
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now