DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Man jailed for 26 years for stabbing US tourists in Amsterdam terror attack

October 14, 2019
Photo
Photo: Depositphotos.com

The man who stabbed two American tourists at Amsterdam’s central station in vengeance for Geert Wilders’ cartoon competition has been jailed for 26 years and eight months by judges in the Dutch capital.

Jaweed S was found guilty of two counts of attempted murder with a terrorist motive and three charges of threatening police officers. He travelled from Germany to the Netherlands with the aim of killing as many people as possible, the court said.

‘There is a real risk he will re-offend and it is the duty of the court to protect society’, making the maximum permitted sentence the only appropriate punishment, the court said.

S took the train from his home in Germany to Amsterdam on August 31 last year. He attacked two people standing by an information desk before he was overpowered by police.

The 20-year-old Afghan refugee, who left his homeland when he was 16, refused to utter Wilders’s name in court, but had made it clear that the Muhammed cartoon contest was the motive for his visit. The contest was called off before the attack took place.

Lost boy

The wife of one of his victims said in court during the hearings earlier this year that she hoped S, whom she described as a ‘lost boy’, would become a better person.

‘You do not represent refugees,’ she said. ‘We were refugees once and were given an opportunity in a fantastic country.’ According to broadcaster NOS, the woman and the other victim originally came from Eritrea.

Jaweed S was also ordered to pay one of his victims, who is now in a wheelchair, €2.6m in compensation. The other victim should get €38,000, the court said.

The court said that if S is unable to pay compensation he will be sentenced up to a further year in jail, which will not take away the requirement to pay. The victims may also be able to claim up to €35,000 from a special fund set up for the victims of crime.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now