DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Utrecht shooter was out on licence ahead of rape trial, court confirms

March 19, 2019

The main suspect in the Utrecht tram shooting has a criminal record and was released from jail ahead of his trial for rape on March 1, the Dutch courts have confirmed.

The Midden Nederland court, which covers Utrecht and Flevoland, issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon stating that Gökmen Tanis had been charged with rape in July 2017 but was released from custody that September to await trial.

However, after failing to meet the terms of his release he was picked up again in January this year, and went to court several times asking to be let go. On March 1 ‘in line with the standpoint of the defence and the public prosecution department he was released under licence’ the statement said.

Voorarrest Gökmen T. in lopende zedenzaak https://t.co/oydqDt81TQ pic.twitter.com/3EA0slrRl1

— rb Midden-Nederland (@rechtbankMNL) March 19, 2019

Since then Tanis has been sentenced to two weeks in jail for shoplifting and four months for burglary but neither case was definitive, the statement said. Neither crime would merit being remanded in custody, broadcaster NOS said.

The court also confirmed that in 2014, Tanis was jailed for 150 days, 149 suspended, for the illegal possession of a gun and attempted robbery but was found not guilty of attempted murder.

According to the Telegraaf, Tanis was tracked down after he used a friend’s phone to access his bank online and transfer money.

Parliament

Asked by MPs during a debate on Tuesday afternoon why Tanis was out of jail, justice minister Ferd Grapperhaus said he understood the question but had no answers at present.

‘Our job now is to ensure calm and security,’ he told MPs.

Grapperhaus and prime minister Mark Rutte are to visit Utrecht to speak to locals later on Tuesday.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now