DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Toddler, 2, still in hospital after Helmond high street shooting

January 22, 2019
Forensic experts at the scene of a shooting. Photo: Politie.nl
Forensic experts at the scene of the shooting. Photo: Politie.nl

The two-year-old toddler hit by gunfire in Helmond on Monday afternoon remains in hospital where she is being treated for injuries to her leg, police have confirmed.

The child was sitting on the back of her mother’s bike when she was hit by a bullet. A 15-year-old girl was also hit in the arm, but she was released on Monday after treatment. She had been walking to school with friends.

The victims, both local, were hit when a gunman opened fire on a car  at the junction of Helmondse Molenstraat and Noord Koninginnewal around 3.30 in the afternoon.

‘It is quite shocking that this could happen in broad daylight on a shopping street,’ Helmond mayor Elly Blanksma said in a statement. ‘It is unacceptable that innocent children are hit by gun fire.’

Police are still trying to trace both the shooter who drove off at high speed, and the intended victim, who ran off leaving his car behind.

A 23-year-old local man who was arrested on Tuesday afternoon was released on Tuesday evening and is no longer a suspect, police said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now