DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 18 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Video: Telegraaf releases security camera footage of white van attack

June 26, 2018

The Telegraaf newspaper has released security camera footage of Tuesday morning’s attack on the company’s editorial offices near Sloterdijk station in Amsterdam.

The footage shows the white van making two attempts to plough into the building before the driver gets out and sets the van on fire. He then runs off into a waiting car.

Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte has described the attack on the Netherlands’ biggest paper as a ‘slap in the face for the free press’.

The van used in the attack is a white Volkswagen Caddy and after the attack, the driver was picked up in a dark Audi, police said. They are calling for any witnesses to come forward, police said.

‘We will not be intimidated,’ editor in chief Paul Jansen said. The paper has been threatened before but is too early to speculate who may be behind the attack, he said. ‘We are naturally all very shocked. This is a violent thing to have happened.’

The Telegraaf is the biggest Dutch paper with a high profile for populist stories, crime and sport.

Last week, the nearby offices of the Panorama weekly news magazine were shot at by an anti-tank missile. A 41-year-old member of a motorbike gang has been arrested in connection with that incident.

‘Last week Panorama and now us, the free press is under attack,’ Jansen said. ‘It is a worrying development.’ The paper’s crime correspondent John van den Heuvel is already under heavy security due to his reports on organised crime.’

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Crime
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
Transgender darts player says ban was based on flawed study
Hantavirus ship Hondius to dock in Rotterdam
Three arrests as national anti-asylum protests draw small crowds
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now