DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Blok calls for quick ceasefire in Syria, rejects sanctions against Russia

April 16, 2018
Photo of Dutch foreign affairs minister Stef Blok
Foreign affairs minister Stef Blok.

Foreign affairs minister Stef Blok has called for a ceasefire in the Syrian civil war to be negotiated as soon as possible – but dismissed calls for further sanctions to be imposed on Russia.

Blok said a negotiated settlement in Syria brokered by the UN Security Council was needed to end the conflict. ‘The only way out of this is through negotiations,’ he said.

Russia has been criticised for vetoing an inquiry into alleged chemical weapons attacks in Douma and obstructing the work of the Hague-based Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), but Blok said sanctioning Moscow would be counterproductive. He backed the position of his German counterpart Heiko Maas, who said ‘without Russia there is no solution’.

OPCW officials said on Monday morning that inspectors had been unable to get into Douma, where president Bashar al-Assad’s forces are suspected of having killed at least 70 people with chlorine gas and sarin nerve agents a week ago.

The US, Britain and France launched a series of air strikes against Syrian government targets in the early hours of Saturday in retaliation for the alleged gas attack. The Dutch government said it understood the motive for the raids but did not support them because they were not backed by a security council resolution, Blok said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Politics
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Most Dutch home buyers face unfair bidding, study finds
A prison corridor
Psychiatric treatment for long-term prisoners “starts too late”
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now