Sales of holiday homes have risen sharply in the last two years, according to figures published by the estate agents’ association NVM.
The Dutch land registry (Kadaster) recorded 3,130 sales in 2015, almost double the previous year’s total of 1,750. The holiday home market took a dip during the financial crisis, but has been growing strongly since 2012.
The dash for holiday homes, driven partly by low interest rates as well as the general economic recovery, is reflected in an 8 per cent increase in purchase prices. However, the average price of €120,000 is still far below the pre-crisis peak of €180,000.
The most popular locations for second homes are in the Veluwe and Utrechtse Heuvelrug, where sales have doubled, followed by coastal resorts in North Holland and Zeeland.
The NVM said around 20 per cent of holiday home owners saw their purchase purely as an investment and did not plan to use them properties for recreational use. The remaining 80 per cent expected to use their second homes themselves or share them with friends and family.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation