Tuesday night’s friendly football match between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled shortly before kick-off because of a terrorist threat.
German broadcaster NDR quoted the city’s chief of police as stating there was a ‘concrete danger for all Hannover’.
There were ‘indications’ that there were ‘serious plans to blow something up,’ police chief Volker Kluwe told the broadcaster.
Security had been tight around the stadium heading up to the match, news agency ANP said. All supporters’ bags had been searched and police sniffer dogs were also on patrol.
According to VTM news, a suspicious suitcase had been found at the stadium, leading to its evacuation, but this was later dismissed as just a rumour, the Volkskrant said.
The match had been due to start at 20.45 and the teams had not yet reached the stadium when it was cancelled.
Around 200 Oranje fans were in Hannover for the game, broadcaster Nos said. The buses they were travelling in were stopped by police as they neared the grounds. Dutch sports minister Edith Schippers had also been due to attend the game.
The friendly between Belgium and Spain was cancelled earlier following the terrorist attacks in Paris.
More to follow
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation